Institute for the Study and Monitoring of the Santorini Volcano
The Institute for the Study and Monitoring of the Santorini Volcano (I.S.M.O.SA.V.) is a non-profit organization, founded in the summer of 1995, whose primary aim is to continue to maintain the operation of the Volcano Observatory and the monitoring networks, which were established under a research program funded by the E.U (1993-1995).
Its main target is the promotion of volcanological research on the island, more specifically how to achieve the most accurate assessment possible regarding volcanic phenomena, and the increased probability of precise forecasting of any future volcanic eruption.
The Institute provides Santorini with a complete monitoring system, which is crucial for the timely prediction of a possible volcanic eruption, and also its members undertake the responsibility of disproving any false statements or rumors regarding a negative state of the volcano.
Amongst the founding members, ISMOSAV includes the majority of Greek scientists who participated in the above mentioned E.U. program, members of the Santorini civil authorities and members of the public interested in the volcanic phenomena on Santorini island group.
Photo: Konstantina Sidiropoulou
Board of Directors
The board of directors consists of:
Horonary President of ISMOSAV
Emeritus Professor of Geothermics, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki
Dr. Volcanologist, HSGME Reasecher, Hellenic Survey of Geology and Mineral Exploration
Former Mayor of Thira
Professor of App. Geophysics and Seismology, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki
Emeritus Professor of Geology, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki
Urology Surgeon, Santorini
Geologist of Thira District
Professor of Electronics and Computers, School of Physics, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki
Bussinessman-Resident of Thira Island
Laboratory Teaching Staff,
School of Geology, Aristotle
University of Thessaloniki
The responsibility for the proper operation of the Volcanological Observatory and the monitoring networks belongs to the Scientific Committee of ISMOSAV, which consists of:
- George Vougioukalakis Dr. Volcanologist, HSGME Reasecher, Manager of Geochemical and Thermal Monitoring Networks
- Contstantinos Papazachos, Professor of Seismology A.U.Th., Manager of Seismological Network
- Christos Pikridas, Professor of Geodesy and Topography A.U.Th., Manager of GPS/GNSS Network
- Spyridon Pavlides, Emeritus Professor of Geology, A.U.Th., Responsible for monitoring ground deformations using Lidar, Drone and tidal network
- Michael FOumelis, Assistant Professor, Dept. of Geology A.U.Th., Manager of Satellite Monitoring